Comics I’ve started, continued, or stopped reading lately:
New additions in 2018:
- Atomic Robo, by Brian Clevinger and Scott Wegener. Lately has been alternating with Real Science Adventures.
- Bobbins, by John Allison. Will be wrapping up very soon.
- Dresden Codak, by Aaron Diaz.
- Drive, by Dave Kellett.
- Dumbing of Age, by David M. Willis.
- Gunnerkrigg Court, by Tom Siddell.
- It’s Walky!, by David M. Willis.
- Johnny Wander, by Yuko Ota and Ananth Panagariya.
- The Non-Adventures of Wonderella, by Justin Pierce. Occasional.
- The Otherknown, by Lora Merriman.
- Questionable Content, by Jeph Jacques.
- Real Science Adventures, written by Brian Clevinger. Lately has been alternating with Atomic Robo.
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, by Zach Weinersmith.
- Sufficiently Remarkable, by Maki Naro. Very sporadic.
- Wondermark, by David Malki.
- XKCD, by Randall Munroe.
- Bad Machinery, by John Allison. Wrapped up its run in 2018.
- Blindsprings, by Kadi Fedoruk. Still good art, but I got tired of it and its broken RSS.
- The Creepy Casefiles of Margo Maloo, by Drew Weing. I’m hoping for more but nothing’s been published in over a year.
- The Meek, by Der-shing Helmer. Decided I wasn’t enough into it to deal with its slow pace. Perhaps I’ll binge it when it’s done.
Amazon no longer has Marvel trades regularly at 50% off, and the big sales are fewer and not as drastically priced, though I did just pick up ten books on sale.
Read this year:
- All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, by Gerry Duggan (ended).
- Ant-Man & The Wasp, by Mark Waid (limited).
- Avengers, by Jason Aaron (ongoing). I’ve never been into the Avengers, but I was very impressed with Aaron’s work on Thor, so bought the first trade of his Avengers run. I’ll buy more.
- By Night, by John Allison (ongoing). Allison’s done some of my favorite comics, web and book, so I’ve been reading this new one, but so far not getting into it so much. Partly it’s not especially liking the style of Christine Larsen’s artwork.
- Captain Marvel, by Margaret Stohl (ended).
- Defenders, by Brian Michael Bendis (ended).
- Doctor Strange, by Donny Cates (ended).
- Exiles, by Saladin Ahmed (ongoing). Never been into X-Men, either, but I was interested in what Ahmed would do with alternate universe versions of Iron Man, Kamala Khan, Wolverine, and Valkyrie. First volume was good enough that I’ll pick up the second when it’s on sale.
- Falcon, by Rodney Barnes (ended).
- Giant Days, by John Allison (ongoing).
- Hawkeye, by Kelly Thompson (ended).
- [She-]Hulk, by Mariko Tamaki (ended).
- Infinity Countdown, Gerry Duggan (limited). This had its moments but on the whole, naah.
- Invincible Iron Man, by Brian Michael Bendis (ended).
- Jessica Jones, by Kelly Thompson (limited). I picked this up in December but haven’t read it yet.
- Life of Captain Marvel, by Margaret Stohl (limited).
- Marvel Rising, by Devin Grayson, Ryan North, G. Willow Wilson (limited).
- Mighty Captain Marvel, by Margaret Stohl (ended).
- Mighty Thor, by Jason Aaron (ended).
- Monstress, by Marjorie Liu (ongoing).
- Motor Crush, by Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr (appears to have ended).
- Ms Marvel, by G. Willow Wilson (ongoing). Wilson’s run is going to end soon, with Saladin Ahmed picking it up.
- Orphan Black: Deviations, by Heli Kennedy (limited).
- Rat Queens, by Kurtis J Wiebe (ongoing).
- Spider-Gwen, by Jason Latour (ended).
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, by Ryan North (ongoing).
- Unbelievable Gwenpool, by Christopher Hastings (ended).
- Unstoppable Wasp, by Jeremy Whitley (ended).
- Asgardians of the Galaxy, by Cullen Bunn. Deserves a shot for the title alone.
- Captain America, by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I didn’t get into Coates’s Black Panther but I’ll try this.
- Doctor Strange, by Mark Waid.
- Goddess Mode, by Zoe Quinn. Very interested to see what Quinn does in this medium.
- Ironheart, by Eve Ewing.
- Princeless: Find Yourself, by Jeremy Whitley (limited).
- Spider-Geddon, by Christos N. Gage (limited). Not a Spider-Man reader but I do like some of the other spiders and enjoyed Spider-Verse.
- Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, by Seanan McGuire.
- Thor, by Jason Aaron (new series).
- Tony Stark: Iron Man, by Dan Slott.
- Unstoppable Wasp, by Jeremy Whitley (new series).
- West Coast Avengers, by Kelly Thompson.
I don’t think I read any graphic novels in 2018. Upcoming is:
- Cleopatra in Spaaaace! (Book 5) by Mike Maihack.