Learned behavior

I electrified the Uke Onna Stick prototype over the weekend, and I think I can declare victory at this point.

Uke Onna Stick prototype doneIn that picture the output jack is just hanging, but later I mounted it to a piece of plastic attached to the bottom:

Uke Onna Stick really done (detail)Aside from the zither pins, everything I used here was stuff I had lying around. That is a true statement, technically, though a little misleading. I did have piezo elements lying around, somewhere… but I was in a mall Saturday and it was easier to go into Radio Shack and buy one than it would have been to find the ones I have stashed.

I’m utterly inept at doing anything with a fretless electric uke, as this video proves.

Stuff I learned, to be applied to the real Uke Onna Stick when I get around to that:

  • The basic idea seems to work.
  • Uke strings are thin. The holes I drilled in the head were too large; knots in the G and A strings pulled right through. I ended up tying the strings around a toothpick. I need to either drill smaller holes, or find a better way to secure the string ends.
  • Holes in the tail block probably aren’t the best way to go; to get the clearance needed, slots would be better. Cutting those will be interesting.
  • While this method of mounting the output jack works, I think I’d rather go through the tail block. That’ll requires some drilling before assembly, which is why I didn’t do it that way on the prototype. Headphone output jack can go there too.
  • The square slot routed in the tail end works perfectly well for holding the turnaround (the rocket motor here, it’ll probably be a piece of copper tubing on the next) in place, but a rounded slot matching the turnaround’s curvature would look nicer. Needs a 3/4″ round nose router bit.
  • I need to improve either my technique with the router, or my tools… I still get burning. I think I know what to try to fix that.
  • Provisions for a strap are good. I tried a couple positions for the brass hook you see above before settling on that position, but possibly a better idea would be to take a uke strap like the Uke Crazy one, with a buttonhole at one end and strings on the other, and tie the strings to the turnaround and use a strap button on the head end.

The real Uke Onna Stick will be different:

  • Neck: Shaped from a thicker hardwood blank, tapered in width.
  • Fingerboard: Fretted. Maybe prefab, maybe I’ll talk myself into doing it myself. I don’t think I’ll find a prefab with a zero fret, in which case I’d use a nut.
  • Bridge: Conventional wood bridge with bone? Synthetic? Wood? saddle. Under saddle piezo rod.
  • Turnaround: Probably copper tubing.
  • Back cover: Extending from back of neck (behind the last frets) to the tail block. Held on maybe with magnets.
  • Onboard headphone amplifier.

But I think I’m going to work on some other things first — like my delayed PongSat project, for one, and then I think I’ll warm up with a diddly bow and a 3-string fretless cigar box guitar. In fact it’d probably be wise to do a fretted CBG before attempting a fretted uke, if I’m doing my own fretboard. Smaller scale is harder.

 

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Learned behavior

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s