Herbie

We built a bot.

I got a Solarbotics Herbie the Mousebot kit from Sparkfun after last year’s free day and Kenny and I finally got around to putting it together yesterday and today.

It was a fun project and it ended up working great!
There was just one big problem. There was just no way the battery would fit as intended. Even though I think we followed the instructions carefully, the IC in its socket and the sleeve on the tail both stand too high off the PC board to allow clearance for the battery at the angle needed to clip it in.
Finally I gave up and soldered a wired battery clip to the board, clipped the battery to that, and held it in place with tape and rubber bands. It works, but it ain’t pretty.
Fun though.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s