For this year’s Solstice Spice ale I generally followed the recipe from the 1995 version, with reduced orange zest as in 1996. Brewing technique was modified some, based on that recommended in Papazian’s Microbrewed Adventures. The 1995 recipe had 2 oz Cascade, α = 5.9%, but I didn’t have that so substituted the hops shown for a similar total α.
Steep in 2 gal water at 150°F for 30 min:
- 2 oz black patent malt (Munton’s)
- 8 oz crystal malt (64°L, Fawcett)
Add 3 qt hot water and
- 7.5 lb light dry malt extract (Munton’s)
- 1.5 lb light honey (Waid’s)
- 1 oz Cascade leaf, α = 8.9%
- ½ oz Fuggles leaf, α = 4.0%
- ½ oz Mt. Hood pellets, α = 4.7%
Boil 60 minutes. 10 minutes before the end add
- ½ oz Mt. Hood hops
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t ground allspice
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 oz grated ginger root
- zest of 2 orangess
- 16 whole cloves
Cool, add water to bring to 5 gal. Pitch
- Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast (Direct Pitch)
I measured O.G. = 1.083, somewhat higher than previous batches for whatever reason.
Ferment 1 week, rack to secondary, let finish another week. I measured gravity 1.014 at the end of the first week — broke my hydrometer at end of second week so I didn’t measure it again, but it was probably about the same.
- ¾ c corn sugar
and let condition for 2 weeks.
This turned out well, though next time I might consider cutting back the cloves to about 8.